Guide to the Episcopal Church Diocese of Eau Claire Records,​ 1877-​1949

Last Updated

Summary Information

Title: Episcopal Church. Diocese of Eau Claire (Wis.): Records

Inclusive Dates: 1877-1949

Creator: Episcopal Church. Diocese of Eau Claire (Wis.)

Call Number: Eau Claire Mss V

Quantity: 0.2 c.f. (1 archives box)

Repository: Housed at the Area Research Center, William D. McIntyre Library, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire; owned by the Wisconsin Historical Society, Library-Archives Division

Archival Locations: UW-Eau Claire McIntyre Library / Eau Claire Area Research Ctr.

Abstract: Scattered records of the Diocese; including a parish register and miscellaneous reports and letters from St. Luke's Mission, Neillsville, Wis.; and service record books indicating the type of liturgy, the minister, attendance, sermon topics, and other details from churches in Owen, Medford, Westboro, Mellen, Park Falls, Lugerville, and Prentice, Wisconsin.

Language: English

Search Terms/Subject Terms

  • Episcopal Church—Wisconsin
  • St. Luke’s Mission (Neillsville, Wis.)
  • Church records and registers—Wisconsin
  • Lugerville (Wis.)—Church history—Sources
  • Medford (Wis.)—Church history—Sources
  • Mellen (Wis.)—Church history—Sources
  • Neillsville (Wis.)—Church history—Sources
  • Owen (Wis.)—Church history—Sources
  • Park Falls (Wis.)—Church history—Sources
  • Prentice (Wis.)—Church history—Sources
  • Westboro (Wis.)—Church history—Sources


The Episcopal Diocese of Eau Claire was established early in 1929. The first resident bishop was the Rt. Rev. Frank E. Wilson, rector of Christ Church, Eau Claire, where he was consecrated on May 1, 1929. He died in 1944 and was succeeded by the Rt. Rev. William W. Horstick, the incumbent as of 1971. (See Episcopal Church Annual, 1971, p.102.) The diocese comprises some 35 parishes and missions in northwestern Wisconsin. A few of these are represented in the collection of papers described below.

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains three kinds of records: a parish register, miscellaneous reports and letters, and service record books. The parish register contains a history of the local church, and a record of families, baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, and offerings. Both this register and the reports and letters concern St. Luke's Mission, Neillsville, Wisconsin, 1877-1930. They are fragmentary and spotty because St. Luke's repeatedly closed and reopened. (See the history for additional details.) The service record books, 1919-1949, indicate what type of liturgy was held, who the minister was, statistics on the number in attendance, number of communicants, sermon topics, offerings received, etc. The churches concerned are listed in the contents list below. The parish register is also available on microfilm produced by the Genealogical Society of Utah which holds the master negative (GSU #1314835).

Administrative/Restriction Information

Acquisition Information 

Presented by the Owen Lumber Company via Ralph W. Owen, president, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, July 30, 1963, with the John S. Owen Lumber Company Papers. How these records came into the Company's possession is unknown. Accession Number: M63-139

Contents List

Box/Volume   1/1

Parish Register, St. Luke's Mission, Neillsville, Wis., 18771928 

Box/Folder   1/1

Reports and Letters, St. Luke's Mission, Neillsville, Wis., 1925-1930 

Service Record Books, 1919-1949 

Box/Volume   1/2

St. Katherine's Church, Owen, Wis. 

Box/Volume   1/3

St. Mary's Church, Medford, Wis.; St. Philip's Church, Westboro, Wis.; St. Clement's Church, Mellen, Wis.; St. Margaret's Church, Park Falls, Wis.; Church of Our Savior, Lugerville, Wis.; and Prentice, Wis.