Registration: Transfer Credit Policy

Last Updated

Transfer of Credits

At the point of admission, the Admissions Office will prepare an evaluation or official list of transferred credits for transfer students. Credit is awarded for college-level coursework completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). The courses being transferred must be similar in nature, level, and content to coursework in UW-Eau Claire's undergraduate curriculum. Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, and courses that are primarily remedial, technical, vocational, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable. Students seeking a second baccalaureate degree or additional certification are not given an evaluation of credits; they report to the associate dean of the college for specific advising.

Because individual baccalaureate degree programs stipulate specific courses, students should be attentive to the requirements of an intended major in planning their General Education program.

In certain fields, credits that were earned more than ten years prior to admission or readmission may be invalid as degree credits.

Requests for Equivalencies

Although UW-Eau Claire routinely applies a course toward general education or liberal education requirements in the same category as similar UW-Eau Claire courses, if the course fulfills a different category at the sending institution and if the student requests the original designation, the request will be approved if possible. The student should then contact the Admissions office with proof of the sending institution's categorization at the time the student was enrolled.

Upon the student's request, UW-Eau Claire will permit courses completed by UW System transfer students to transfer in accordance with the course equivalency in effect when the course was taken compared to the current equivalency. To ensure the process goes smoothly, the student should obtain a petition from the Admissions office and should supply proof of the original equivalency.

If a course taken at a UW System institution has an upper-division transfer equivalency and if UW-Eau Claire first year and/or sophomore students are allowed to enroll for that equivalent class, UW-Eau Claire will award upper-division credit, even if the course was a lower division at the original institution.

The university will accept ethnic studies/cultural diversity courses satisfactorily completed at another UW institution toward satisfaction of the UW-Eau Claire cultural diversity requirement. However, not all transcripts identify these courses, so the student may need to inform degree review. The student should be prepared to supply proof that the course was considered ethnic studies.

Associate degrees granted from University of Wisconsin System institutions, including the University of Wisconsin Colleges that meet the 1987 Board of Regents approved minimum requirements, satisfy the requirements of UW-Eau Claire's General Education program. However, competency requirements, levels of proficiency, and specific courses are still required. If the degree has not yet been awarded at the time of admission, the student may need to call the university's attention to the associate degree by contacting degree review.


Students shall have the opportunity to appeal any course transfer determination. The appeal should originate with the chair of the department where the course resides, which would be carried on to the associate dean of that school and/or dean of that college, and, if necessary, to the provost/vice chancellor.

Final Semester Requirement

23 of the last 30 credits prior to graduation from any curriculum must be earned in residence at UW-Eau Claire, unless specific arrangements have been made by petition to the dean of your school or college. You must request that your transcript be sent to the UW-Eau Claire's Admissions office upon completion of the course(s). UW-Eau Claire Study Abroad courses are considered resident credits.

For more information, view the UW System Transfer Policy.